There are some key documents that you must complete and submit for your application. Please go through the checklist below carefully.
To be submitted in Word (.doc or .docx) or in PDF format.
The Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand sets high standards for literacy (equivalent to Level 7) and numeracy (equivalent to Level 6) achievement for entry into the teaching profession. As such, the BTI literacy and numeracy tests comply with these academic requirements and you will need to sit these prior to your interview. These tests can take between 2-4 hours. The Applications Administrator will contact you via email with information about the tests and how to complete them once you have submitted your online application. In preparation for this, we recommend you read the Our Code, Our Standards booklet from the Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand and that you refresh your memory regarding the following:
A copy of your completed official academic transcript from a NZQA Level 7 University Degree or above.
If your degree is from overseas you will be required to submit:
• A copy of your completed official academic transcript from an overseas degree (a copy of your NZQA equivalency may also be required).
• Evidence of English Language Competency
If you have resided within NZ during the past 5 years please click here to download and complete pages 2 and 3 of the form and sign it electronically with an X.
If you have resided outside of NZ during the past 5 years you will need to supply Police Vetting documentation from any country in which you have resided in during that time.
You will need to supply certified copies of 2 types of Identification (IDs).
If these IDs have different names to each other you will also need to supply a marriage certificate or name change certificate.
At least one of these IDs must have your photograph on it.
For Domestic Students: At least one of these IDs must show proof of NZ Citizenship or Residency (or other evidence which qualifies under the definition for a domestic tertiary student in NZ as applicable). Proof may include a certified copy of one of the following for NZ: passport, citizenship certificate, birth certificate, e-version copy of residency, birth register, etc.
For a list of suitable identification please click here.
To certify your IDs:
• Make a photocopy of each of your IDs.
• Take your photocopies and IDs to whoever is going to certify them- they will need to see the original IDs before they can certify the photocopies of them.
• Your IDs can be certified by a person of standing in the community (e.g. a registered professional, or a pastor or community leader), a JP or the Police.
• Certified copies need to have the name, signature and stamp of the person certifying them and the date. If a stamp is not available, please ensure that the person’s position or job title is also written.
Photographs must be in “.jpg“, “.jpeg” or “.png” format and should be no larger than one megabyte in size, and at least 300px wide by 360px high. Images taken directly from digital cameras are likely to be too large.
The Application Fee is a non-refundable payment for processing an application. Please click here to go to our secure online payment portal. Alternatively, you may pay by cash, EFTPOS or credit card onsite at the BTI reception.