Close this search box.

Code of Practice

All international students enrolled with a New Zealand education provider are covered by the New Zealand Government’s Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021. This is legislation that outlines the level of care that education providers, and their agents, must provide to international students while they live and study in New Zealand. The education system is regulated with strong quality assurance systems across the board.

In general, as an international student you can expect that:
• the quality of teaching and learning you receive will meet high educational standards
• the marketing and promotion information you receive before you enrol is
clear, complete and accurate so you can make a well-informed decision
about whether an education provider is the right choice for you
• education providers’ agents give you reliable information and act with integrity and professionalism
• you will receive enough information and support to help you with your
enrolment, including understanding the legal obligations you have, and that you will receive all the proper documentation
• you are welcomed and have enough information, guidance and support to help you settle into your new life in New Zealand
• your study environment is safe, and that you have a safe place to live

The purpose of the Code

The code sets out the expectations that tertiary education organisations  enrolling international students such as BTI must meet for learner safety and wellbeing. Under the Code, BTI’s responsibilities include helping you to be:

  • safe, physically, and mentally
  • respected and accepted for who you are
  • supported in your learning and wellbeing
  • connected with your social and cultural networks and
  • able to have your say in decisions about service

Visit the NZQA website for full details of what’s covered in the Code (PDF)

Or visit the NZQA website for more info about the Code.

Complaints about our compliance with the Code

If you want to raise a concern or make a complaint, please go to our complaints section for  information and support on how to do this.

Study Complaints  (For financial and contractual disputes) 

If you are an international student or a domestic tertiary learner and you have an unresolved complaint (financial or contractual dispute) about a New Zealand education provider, you can contact Study Complaints.   

Students can contact the service on:

· Free phone: 0800 00 66 75

· Email:

· Online: